Village House Vacation Rental
18th Century Village House in Haute Provence
My husband, daughter and I restored an old stone house in a beautiful hillside village only 15 minutes from Manosque, and half an hour from my small farmhouse in the upper Var. It was a virtual ruin when we bought it in 1994, the last home of a retired shepherd, his dogs, and pigeons. We brought it back to life with such elements as wood-fire baked floor tiles from the famous tile center in Salernes, a classic Provencal dark, glossy red double tile sink for the "coin cuisine", and hand-carved wooden doors.
A local mason, well-known in the area for his talent and also for his affection for old houses, did all the masonry, hand-plastering the delicate curves of the staircase and arch ways.
My daughter Ethel, who is a food and prop stylist as well as a writer, chose the furnishings, an eclectic mix of contemporary and antique. Tableware is from a nearby pottery manufacturer, and good knives and pans stock the kitchen, so you can really cook if you want. Fluffy comforters top the comfortable new beds, and the new white towels are abundant.
To renovate the building, we took it down to the original stone, shoveling out centuries of old plaster and ceilings. All new electrical, plumbing, and beams were replaced as needed.
When the work was finally finished, we had the "pendre la cremaillere " or housewarming party, when everyone who had worked on the house, plus neighbors, and friends, came to share a celebratory aperitif and visit the finished and furnished house.
The villagers are warm and friendly, and welcoming to newcomers. The lake is nearby for swimming, extensive hiking trails are just 5 minutes from the front door, and art, antiquity, open markets, and theatrical events abound in the region.
Please look at the photos, and let us know if you have any questions about this very special village house.
- St. Martin-de-bromes is a medieval village in Haute Provence, 45 minutes northeast of Aix-en-Provence and situated along the foothills of the lavender plateaus
- Fully restored 18th century village house, 2 bedrooms, equipped with centralized heating and modern appliances, including a washer and dryer
- Southern exposure terrace, stone and tile spiral staircase leading from one floor to the next, exposed wooden beams, american style bathroom with shower over tub
- Historic village with provencal character, larger towns nearby have an abundance of open-air markets, restaurants and cafes
- Just 8 miles away is Esparron with its huge lake, surrounded by pine and oak covered hills, and hidden coves. Swimming, boating and sailboarding
- Greoux-les-Bains, a town famous for its thermal baths, is just 5 minutes away
First floor: living room, small kitchen, covered terrace
Second floor: large bedroom with queen size bed, bathroom en suite with additional access
Third floor: small bedroom with 2 single beds
- st martin de bromes
- rue de tour
- ground floor
- main bedroom
- view east
- view south
Available: April, May, June, July, August, September, October
$600 a week. For further information please contact Georgeanne Brennan or Jim Schrupp at 530-795-3043 or .